Saturday, April 13, 2013

Daigle. April 9


Lindsay Daigle. April 9, 2013



Transference


It’s like I told you— He was waist-down naked,
stepped out of his teal pick-up truck, didn't smile,
no, didn’t say anything. No, I didn’t say anything
either. I squeezed my friend's wrist, we walked faster,
laughed a little because we were twelve. I only looked
at it once.

*

I grew up picturing illness
like shag carpeting, like a foot
pushing its footness
through unknown fiber-prisons.
It was when mom opened windows
in the winter, hair wet
with perfume, chiding the stick-around birds.
The radiators squealed. The money was not under
the mattress. I made my mind up
about the back door, how I keep locking it,
why it’s standing open again.

*

She chose three words to say
based on each ice cube left
in the glass. Second word—
Sounds like

*

Backwards, muffled, sometimes followed
by throaty laughter. I heard best
during brandy in the living room,
when they talked of black eyes, of brothers,
of quilt patterns and darkness, phone calls
from missing daughters, back porch binocular-guilt,
crossword puzzle excuses, hospitals, jewelry,
loneliness, art. These woke me from dreams.
I couldn’t tell who was speaking.
I couldn’t tell if the spot under me
was pee or sweat.

*

It’s familiar to test the kitchen knives,
to shatter mirrors. It’s the same
to reach through barbed wire fences
to feel skin breaking open, blood
like fresh air, blood that misses
the ground-swells it came from.





(Transference, Spoon, 2010)

1 comment: