Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 2nd Poem Kristin


Palace
After Paul Guest

I never thought I'd be sick of living along the mud:
the flexible and slick twigs, the stick of summer,
the sweet bite before the core
the translucent finger pressed into the sun
duking it out before the frost—
so much about death engenders. But the ruin
came from the flick of two switches. My teeth,
what once were grim experts
at tearing flesh from the rind,
became a notched edge of coin.
So different, from the teeth
folded into the skull of the hare
or the eggshell-like
head of a mink. Ours are the worst
in all the animal kingdom
when I look to the sparrow's face
to the bluegill's protruding lips
to tadpole's unformed feet,
I see my better. No matter
how deep in darkness I can swim
the distance from the surface
is unbreakable
and the throbbing tension,
the rigidity of my lungs,
the terror and first realization
of leaving behind
catches me
a kind of poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment